Friday, January 11, 2008

Balance

Now, I consider my life to be balanced but it wasn’t always like that. I worked too much - a self-proclaimed ‘workaholic’.

In any given month, 58% of Canadians report “overload” associated with their life. This month in particular, is a chaotic month for most. In an already busy life where you balance many roles (including parent, child, co-worker, volunteer), you add parties, planning and shopping for gifts, and year-end duties at work. For some, there is an increased sense of loneliness if you haven’t achieved what you hoped for in this year. Depression is most prevalent during this month. Most people know when they are ‘out of balance’ and that equilibrium is different for everyone. It takes much thought and work to readjust your schedule and your life. Now, I work much less, and have more time for coffee with friends, working out and even the occasional unexpected invitation. When you balance your life with work and lots of fun, the payoff is increased contentment, joy and more energy to do all the things you currently lament about not being able to do.

I subscribe to many newsletters on health and wellness. In one of those emails, I recently did the questionnaire** on life balance. Take the test yourself and see how you do. For each question, mark down whether you agree or disagree.

1. I feel like I have little or no control over my work life
2. I regularly enjoy hobbies or interests outside of work
3. I often feel guilty because I can't make time for everything I want to
4. I frequently feel anxious or upset because of what is happening at work
5. I usually have enough time to spend with my loved ones
6. When I'm at home, I feel relaxed and comfortable
7. I have time to do something just for me every week
8. On most days, I feel overwhelmed and over-committed
9. I rarely lose my temper at work
10. I never use all my allotted vacation days
11. I often feel exhausted - even early in the week
12. Usually, I work through my lunch break
13. I rarely miss out on important family events because of work
14. I frequently think about work when I'm not working
15. My family is frequently upset with me about how much time I spend working

When you’ve finished, count the number of “agree” answers.

What your score means:

0 – 5: Your life is out of balance - you need to make significant changes to find your equilibrium. But you can take control!

6 -10: You’re keeping things under control – but only barely. Now is the time to take action before you’re knocked off balance

11 – 15: You’re on the right track! You’ve been able to achieve work/life balance – now, make sure you protect it.


Top 3 Tips for Staying in Balance

* Turn off your cell phone and leave your laptop at work or at least turn it off by 7 pm.
* Schedule brief breaks for yourself throughout the day
* Schedule a time for yourself once a week where you cannot do any work such as household chores. It must be something fun.


** Reprinted in accordance with the Canadian Mental Health Association

No comments: